Happy Birthday, Justin!

Today is my middle son Justin’s birthday! He turns thirty-four today. May 15, 1986, was a blessed day for me! As was February 16, 1984, and August 12, 1988, the days Jeremy and Jared were born. But, back to today. On this day, back in 1986, I became a twenty-four year old father of two boys. When Jared arrived two years later, I was a twenty-six year old father of three boys. Can you imagine? A twenty-six year old young man now raising three children. What was I thinking? Who does that? Well, lots of young couples did back in the 1940’s, ‘50’s, and ‘60’s, but in 1988? It was becoming pretty rare. I really have no idea why I was in such a hurry to have children. At the time, I didn’t think of it has being in a hurry. I just wanted kids. Renée and I both did. No one was encouraging us to or pressuring us not to, we just knew we wanted children. I was destined to have sons. My father was one of three boys. I was one of three boys, and I now had three boys. Interestingly enough, my older brother George has two sons, and my younger brother John also has two boys. Boys are just a Söderberg thing.

Looking back, I realize if Renée and I had thought about it, I mean really dissected it, making a list of pros and cons, etc. we may have wondered, “How can we afford to raise three boys?” “Do we have any idea how to do it to begin with?” I am actually glad I did not think about it too much. After all, Proverbs 3:7 says, “Don’t be impressed with your own wisdom.” If I had spent too much time analyzing it, I may have made a different decision. Sometimes we need to respond in faith, with our hearts not our heads. Truth is, I probably did not make enough money or have any skills to raise children, but the Bible says we need to walk by faith, not by sight, and having my boys is a decision I have never, for one moment, regretted.           

Look, wisdom is important. Having a plan is important. When Jesus sent out the twelve apostles, He told them to, “…be as wise as serpents, and harmless as doves” (Matthew 10:16; KJV). However, sometimes you simply have to trust God and believe. Respond in faith. If he had looked too closely, Noah surely would never have started building an ark. Moses would never have faced the pharaoh. Peter would certainly never have stepped out of that boat. God will, on occasion, put something on our hearts that doesn’t make much sense. Like, “Adam, have three children!” If it is of God, trust Him. Have faith. God does not call the prepared. He prepares the called. If God is asking something of you, He will provide all you need to accomplish the task.

Oh, and, “Happy birthday, Justin! I am as blessed today as I was in 1986, when God gave you to me!”

----------------------------------------

We are taking prayer requests now. Email your requests to southchurchprayer@gmail.com. We will lift them up live every weekday at 4:00 pm on our South Church, Hartford Facebook page.

Comments

Popular Posts