Pastor Adam’s Bib


The men’s necktie dates back to the early 17th century. Ties serve no functional purpose; they are simply a fashion statement. Well, not entirely. Any man can tell you, one function of a tie is to keep your white dress shirt clean. Maybe this was not an intended purpose, but more than once, after I finished a meal I would look down and darn it my tie had sauce or oil or something unidentifiable on it, but my shirt was spared! Praise the Lord!

I do not wear ties on a regular basis anymore, and this has put many a dress shirt in mortal peril. You see, as the years have gone by and my waist has expanded, I find that occasional particles of food fall from my fork or spoon before making it to my mouth. Luckily, my beard serves as a shield for some, but I was still leaving a variety of stains on my shirts. Then I had an idea. Of all places, it hit me while I was sitting in the dentist chair getting my teeth cleaned. Before the dental technician began, she put a paper bib on me and secured it with a silicone bib holding clip. “That’s it!” I thought to myself. I need a silicone bib holding clip! If I had one of those, I could simply attach it to an everyday kitchen towel and, voila! However, where do I get a silicone bib holding clip? I almost grabbed it off the counter after the technician was finished with my teeth, but, that would be wrong so I left it there and asked God to forgive me for even thinking about taking it. So, where does one get a silicone bib holding clip? Where one gets anything – Amazon! Low and behold, $9.35 and two days later, a package of five Dental Colorful Sterilizable Silicone Bib Holder Clips were in my mailbox, and Pastor Adam’s dish towel bib was born! Now, every time I sit down to eat, I attach a dental colorful sterilizable silicone bib holder clip to a dishtowel and I am protected from all food stain threats both foreign and domestic. (Hamburger grease or spaghetti sauce.)

In a similar way, we are protected from the stain of sin from the moment we profess faith in Jesus Christ. Isaiah said, “I am overwhelmed with joy in the Lord my God! For he has dressed me with the clothing of salvation and draped me in a robe of righteousness” (Isaiah 61:10). Because of what Christ did on the cross, we can now, as Paul tells us to do in Ephesians 4:24, “Put on your new nature, created to be like God – truly righteous and holy.”

I don’t care what someone may say about my wearing a bib. My shirts are unstained. I care even less what someone may say about my being a Christian. I am now righteous (in right relationship with God) and holy because of the new nature I am able to put on through my profession of faith in Jesus.
 
----------------------------------------

Please, feel free to send in praise reports and prayer requests to southchurchprayer@gmail.com. We lift them up live every weekday at 4:00 pm on our South Church, Hartford Facebook page.

Comments

Popular Posts