Solid Food

I just returned from a week vacation visiting my first grandson up in Maine. It is an absolute joy and delight to hold him. When I could pry him out of his Gram’s arms. It was a double blessing for me as all three of my sons were together as well for the first time in several years. Jared lives in Virginia (he actually proposed to his girlfriend Stephanie – she said, “Yes,” while they were there). Jeremy is in Connecticut, and Justin (the new dad) lives in Maine. As I am holding Nova in my arms, I was having trouble remembering when my boys were that small. It’s been so long. They are all grown men now – in their thirties. It is a little weird when you recognize your children are adults. They live in their own homes. Have their own jobs, relationships, families, responsibilities, etc. It was interesting to now be the “elder statesman,” sitting more on the periphery, watching, and listening as they discussed problems and issues of the day – adding my two cents every once in a while. It was really neat watching, listening. I just smiled and said to myself, “They’re all grown up now.”

It reminded me of when Paul rebuked some believers in Hebrews 5. “You have been believers so long now that you ought to be teaching others. Instead, you need someone to teach you again the basic things about God’s word. You are like babies who need milk and cannot eat solid food. For someone who lives on milk is still an infant and doesn’t know how to do what is right. Solid food is for those who are mature…” (Hebrews 5:12-14a).

This is not the first time Paul used the milk to solid food analogy. He did so in 1 Corinthians as well. His point is when we were new believers (like a newborn baby) we are drinking spiritual milk. Eventually, however, we are all supposed to start eating some solid food. Have a deeper knowledge and better understanding of what it means to be an “adult Christian.” At some point, we are to move beyond Noah’s ark, David and Goliath, and all the other stories we learned in Sunday school. They are important. Don’t get me wrong, but there is so much more. How do we move from milk to solid food?

We spend time in prayer. In His Word. In church. There are so many books and devotionals we can enjoy or, if you prefer, websites, YouTube videos, podcasts, and Facebook Live broadcasts (like “Food For Thought”). We may begin our secular education in kindergarten, however, we do not stop there, right? I mean, I love Dr. Seuss, but after a time, Hop On Pop, should not be enough. After kindergarten, there are twelve more grades for us to complete. Then, even after graduation, there is still plenty of material available for us to devour in order to facilitate our continued spiritual growth.

I pray you are hungry for solid spiritual food. That you are going to church, to a Bible study, reading, praying. Look, there is no such thing as spiritual obesity. You can consume as much as you want.

I imagine God loves sitting on the periphery, watching, and listening as we discuss spiritual problems and issues of the day. Surely, He smiles and says to Himself, “They’re all grown up now.”

----------------------------------------------------- 

Remember to email your praises and petitions to southchurchprayer@gmail.com. We lift them up every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, at 4:00 pm on Facebook Live.

Comments

Popular Posts