Mow Your Lawn

And so it begins again. Last month I started having to mow my lawn. I have a very small lawn but mowing it is one of my least favorite things to do. I understand I have to do it or it will soon become unrecognizable as a lawn and more resemble a forest or field. My lawn needs regular attention. It needs to be mowed once a week at the least. I liken it to our faith journey. If we do not give our faith regular attention it too can become unrecognizable. Morph into something that may resemble but not quite be Christianity. 

When I was growing up, from the ages of ten until I was twenty-nine, I was not involved in any faith community of any kind. I did not attend Sunday school or church. Because of this my definition of what was good or bad, moral or immoral, right or wrong, was formed entirely by what was presented to me in the media. Television, movies, books, magazines (there was no internet back then – thank God!) all held the primary role teaching me about life.

Then, when I got saved in 1989, it was a shock to me to realize how very different my worldview had become. It started when I decided to read the New Testament. As I opened the Gospel of Matthew, it seemed that every time I turned the page, I had an epiphany. God’s Word was clear. The world who taught me what it believed was right and wrong was just wrong nearly all the time! The world was telling me things that were wrong were right. Things that were bad are now good. Things that were immoral were now moral. It was a truly shocking experience. My understanding of Christianity was so distorted. Because of neglect, my “lawn of faith” had become so overgrown, it was completely unrecognizable. Our faith, like our lawns, need consistent attention. Pray. Go to church. Read your Bible.    

As I continued to read, it was clear. Ever since humanity was kicked out of the Garden of Eden, we have lived in a fallen world full of fallen people (like me). “No one is righteous – not even one. No one is truly wise; no one is seeking God” (Romans 3:10-11). This is why Paul warns us, “Don’t copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think” (Romans 12:2). 

The more time I spent in God’s Word, the more I saw this to be true, and the Holy Spirit began changing the way I think. I encourage you to do the same. Spend time in Scripture. Soak in God’s truth. It is illuminating, clarifying, enlightening. So, mow your lawn and read your Bible, because “All Scripture is inspired by God and is useful to teach us what is true and to make us realize what is wrong in our lives. It corrects us when we are wrong and teaches us to do what is right” (2 Timothy 3:16).          

----------------------------------------------------- 

Remember you can email praises and petitions to southchurchprayer@gmail.com. We lift them up every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, at 4:00 pm on Facebook Live.

Comments

Popular Posts