Mental Wellness

Most of you know I have type-2 diabetes. I have to watch my diet, weight, and faithfully take my medications. If I do these things, I can manage my disease. Thirty-seven million other Americans have diabetes as well. That’s 11% of the U.S. population. Though many of us have this disease, I have never had anyone look at me or treat me differently. Did you know that fifty-three million Americans struggle with a mental illness? That’s nearly one in five adults or 16% of the population and includes believers. I wish I could say no one looks at or treats those people any differently but we all know that is not the case.

Mental illness (or I prefer mental wellness) still has a stigma in our culture. We often don’t know what to say or do with those we see struggling with anxiety, depression, suicide, bipolar, schizophrenia, or OCD. Sadly, some Christians believe that if they have a mental wellness issue it is due to spiritual weakness or lack of sufficient faith and this idea often prevents them seeking treatment. I think it’s important to recognize not every mental wellness challenge is spiritual or demonic. Too many people blame the devil. Mental wellness diseases like diabetes are simply a result of living in an imperfect world. 

I have said many times before and will continue to say going forward, this is a fallen world full of fallen people. In the Garden of Eden there was no crying, no death, no diseases (like diabetes, cancer, or anxiety). Our bodies were designed for eternity. Adam and Eve were meant to live forever. When they sinned, however, everything changed. They were kicked out of paradise and into a fallen world where death and disease exist. Our bodies are now susceptible to viruses, disease, deformity, and sicknesses of all types. The strength of one’s faith has nothing to do with it. I did not get type-2 diabetes because of a lack of faith. I got it because this is an imperfect world and I have an imperfect body.

Job battled depression. In the midst of his struggle, he cried out to God, “Why wasn’t I born dead? Why didn’t I die as I came from the womb” (Job 3:11)? When Queen Jezebel declared a bounty on the prophet Elijah, he fled and the Bible says, “‘I have had enough, Lord,’ he said. ‘Then he went on alone into the wilderness, traveling all day. He sat down under a solitary broom tree and prayed that he might die” (1 Kings 19:4). Elijah remained in this distraught condition for forty days and nights – depressed and unable to meet his basic personal needs. When David is betrayed by his own son Ahithophel, he enters a deep depression. Yes, David, the man after God’s own heart, writes in Psalm 6:6-7, “I am worn out from sobbing. All night I flood my bed with weeping, drenching it with my tears. My vision is blurred by grief; my eyes are worn out because of all my enemies.” Martha, Lazarus and Mary’s sister, was overcome with anxiety when Jesus visited them. “Lord, doesn’t it seem unfair to you that my sister just sits here while I do all the work? Tell her to come and help me” (Luke 10:40).

All of these people struggled with mental wellness, and these are just a few. Were they unfaithful? Weak? Absolutely not. They were imperfect people. Living in an imperfect world.

If you struggle at times with anxiety, depression, OCD, or bipolar, please do not think it is because of any unworthiness, unrighteousness, or lack of faith. And remember it’s the same for others as well.

Mental wellness issues, like cancer, are simply a product of fallen bodies in fallen world. We should treat those struggling with such issues like we do diabetics – the same – not differently. I mean, we have compassion and love for someone who is battling cancer. We should have the same with someone who is battling depression or anxiety.           

----------------------------------------------------- 

Remember you can email praises and petitions to southchurchprayer@gmail.com. We lift them up every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, at 4:00 pm on Facebook Live.

Comments

Popular Posts