Congratulations!

As Jesus hung from the cross, I wonder what thoughts ran through His mind. “I wish I had done…” “I should have said…” “I could have done…” Was three years enough time to prepare the apostles? Were they ready? We don’t know all that He thought about, but we do know Jesus prayed for the forgiveness of those who put Him to death. “Father, forgive them, for they don’t know what they are doing” (Luke 23:34). He told the repentant thief on the cross beside Him, “I assure you, today you will be with me in paradise” (Luke 23:43). One of Jesus’ last thoughts, however, was for His mother Mary.

Jesus had provided for Mary from the time Joseph died until His brother James could take over the family business. He now wanted to make sure she was cared for. Sadly, none of Jesus’ brothers James, Joseph, Simon, or Jude were there on Calvary with their mom. I don’t know why. Perhaps, they did not believe yet. We know James did not until after he saw His older brother resurrected. Of the eleven remaining apostles, Judas having committed suicide, the only one who was there at the cross was John – son of Zebedee and Salome. John had been one of Jesus’ inner circle. He sat right next to Jesus in the Upper Room at the Last Supper. Here he stood with Mary. Consoling and comforting her. Jesus knew He could trust John to care for Mary. “When Jesus saw his mother standing there beside the disciple he loved, he said to her, ‘Dear woman, here is your son.’ And he said to this disciple, ‘Here is your mother.’ And from then on this disciple took her into his home” (John 19:26-27).

Of all that may have been on Jesus’ mind, taking care of His mom was important. I mention this because it was my birthday this past Sunday. I don’t understand birthday celebrations. Being given presents and a cake for virtually no reason is odd to me. I didn’t do anything. Well, I continued to breathe for another 365 days. That doesn’t seem to be much of an achievement to me. Who deserves some credit on our birthday is our mom! She did all the work. It was her pain that brought us into the world. She fed us. Changed our diapers and kept us safe. We were just along for the ride. Moms deserve to be celebrated on our birthdays. That’s why I send my mom flowers every October 02. Just so she knows I truly appreciate the gift of life she gave me all those years ago. 

This year, on your birthday, if your mom is still living, how about you send her a gift? That makes more sense to me. Oh, and congratulations on your breathing and stuff. Good job!       

----------------------------------------------------- 

Remember you can email praises and petitions to southchurchprayer@gmail.com. We lift them up every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, at 4:00 pm on Facebook Live.

Comments

Popular Posts