A Parade of Penguins

We all know the story of creation. God creates the universe and everything that exists within it in six days and on the seventh day He rests. At the end of day six, Genesis 1:31 says, “Then God looked over all he had made, and he saw that it was very good!”

Now, I know, since the fall and the introduction of sin into the world, things have changed. We now deal with all sorts of environmental calamities along with humans who are less than kind to each other. Turn on the news at night. You’ll see what I mean.   

Nonetheless, this is still an amazing place – earth. The only planet in the solar system that is the perfect distance from the sun and has the exact correct mix of oxygen and hydrogen needed to sustain life. Even after the fall, I am reminded of how “good” it is every time I watch a nature program. Back in my day, it was “Mutual of Omaha’s Wild Kingdom” with Marlin Perkins or  “The Undersea World of Jacques Cousteau.” More currently, the BBC broadcaster David Attenborough offers us a peek at this incredible third rock from the sun in specials such as “Life on Earth,” and “The Blue Planet.” Yes, whether it is a herd of wildebeest crossing the Serengeti plain in Africa, schools of sailfish in the open ocean, a parade of emperor penguins in Antarctica, or a troop of spider monkeys in the Amazonian Rain forest, I cannot help but be amazed at the wonder of the place we get to call home. God did a really good job.

I mention this because, as I look around today, it seems as if everything is coming apart at the seams. We have a raging opioid problem in America today. There is inflation, homelessness, international viruses. Murder rates are up along with a myriad of other violent crimes. We are on the brink of war with Russia and possibly China. The divorce rate hovers around fifty percent. The family is under attack as are traditional Christian values. Church attendance is declining. It is easy to become overwhelmed. To be disheartened about it all. I understand. I sometimes have to fight the urge to surrender as well.

Today, I just wanted to remind us all that God is still in control. As the prophet Jeremiah prayed, “O Sovereign Lord! You made the heavens and earth by your strong hand and powerful arm. Nothing is too hard for you!...You performed miraculous signs and wonders in the land of Egypt – things still remembered to this day! And you have continued to do great miracles in Israel and all around the world” (Jeremiah 32:17, 20).

Yes, things can look bleak at times. They may even seem so now, but our God is an awesome God and He is in control. After the flood, God said to Noah, “I am giving you a sign of my covenant with you and with all living creatures, for all generations to come. I have placed my rainbow in the clouds. It is the sign of my covenant with you and with all the earth. When I send clouds over the earth, the rainbow will appear in the clouds, and I will remember my covenant with you and with all living creatures” (Genesis 9:12-15).

On days when things feel overwhelming, remember God’s covenant. That He promised to watch over us and bless us. Watch a National Geographic episode or David Attenborough’s “Planet Earth.” Walk outside and feel the breeze on your face. Listen to birds singing. Watch in the next few weeks as trees start to bud, and flowers begin to bloom. Be reminded that there still is beauty in this world. That it is “good” because God declared it so, and that you are a part of the beauty.

My friends, don’t let the bad news get you down. Try to focus on the good news! God is still in control and Jesus loves us. And maybe watch some penguins. They always make me smile.  

-----------------------------------------------------  

Remember you can email praises and petitions to southchurchprayer@gmail.com. I lift them up every Wednesday at 4:00 pm on Facebook Live.

Comments

Popular Posts