It’s a Good Book

One of my favorite writers is James Michener. He wrote novels like “Tales of the South Pacific” (which was made into the musical “South Pacific”), “Hawaii,” “Centennial,” and Chesapeake.” Over a long and storied career, James Michener’s two most common criticisms were #1 – “Your books are too long” (They did average 1,000 pages). And #2 – “Your books are too short.” Once you get involved in the lives of the characters he created, you did not want the story to end. In some ways, I see the Bible in the same way.

The Bible is God’s story and as a voracious reader, like many “new Christians,” one of the first things I did after coming to faith in Jesus, was try and read the story of God. Alas, my first attempt was unsuccessful. At the time, I only had access to a King James Bible, and the “Shakespearean” English (“thee,” “thou,” “whither,” “walketh,” “standeth,” “knoweth,” “begat”) was tough. Sadly, I have to admit, I only made it a few pages into Genesis before I gave up. Years later, in my late twenties, I tried again. This time I purchased an NIV (New International Version) and started in the gospels. It was a much better experience. 

The Bible is also a long book. However, once very intimidating to me, over the years, I have now probably read the Bible cover to cover half a dozen or more times. What was once overwhelming and long, is now too short! There are so many stories I wish were longer. I want to know what happened to the man in the region of the Gerasenes, that Jesus freed from demonic possession. In Luke 8, we read, “The man who had been freed from the demons begged to go with him. But Jesus sent him home, saying, ‘No, go back to your family, and tell them everything God has done for you.’ So he went all through the town proclaiming the great things Jesus had done for him” (Luke 8:39). Was he successful? Did he bring others to Christ as did the Samaritan woman at the well in John 4? Did people run from him in fear, knowing he was the homeless and naked man, who lived in the cemetery outside of town? How about Eutychus, the young man who fell asleep while Paul was preaching, fell out of a window and died? After Paul brings him back to life, does he believe? Does Eutychus share his testimony with others? What of Lazarus? Jesus brought him back to life after being dead for four days. John tells us that on top of plotting Jesus’ murder, “…the leading priests decided to kill Lazarus, too, for it was because of him that many of the people had deserted them and believed in Jesus” (John 12:10-11). Were they successful or did Lazarus die of old age? Then there is Simon of Cyrene. Simon had brought his two sons, Alexander, and Rufus, to celebrate the Passover. They were watching, like many others, as Jesus passed by carrying His cross. At one point, when Jesus could go on no longer, the Roman soldiers picked Simon out of the crowd and ordered him to help. Simon, reluctantly, stepped in and helped carry Jesus’ cross to Golgotha where he saw Him crucified. How did that affect Simon? Did he believe? Acts 2 tells us that people from Cyrene were among the first Christian believers at the Day of Pentecost. Why? Did Simon share the gospel? And then in Romans 16, Paul writes, “Greet Rufus, whom the Lord picked out to be his very own; and also his dear mother, who has been a mother to me” (Romans 16:13). Is this the same Rufus? Simon of Cyrene’s son?

I know none of these stories have a bearing on the message of salvation. I’m just curious. The Bible is such an incredible story, and, like a James Michener novel, I don’t want it to end. It doesn’t really. The story of God continues on – in you, in me, and in all those with whom we share this amazing message. Read it. Study it. Live it. It’s a really good book.  

-----------------------------------------------------  

Remember you can email praises and petitions to southchurchprayer@gmail.com. I lift them up every Wednesday at 4:00 pm on Facebook Live.

Comments

Popular Posts