Eat Some Vegetables!

The week following Easter, my wife Renée, my mom JuneElizabeth, and I visited Amish country in Pennsylvania. I really enjoy Lancaster County. It is beautiful country. I am always intrigued by the Old Order Amish as well. The Amish are a group of people who follow the teachings of Jacob Ammann, a 17th century citizen of Switzerland. They follow simple customs and have many guidelines we would find “odd.” They refuse to take oaths, vote, or perform military service. They shun modern technology and conveniences. Transportation for the Amish is by horse and buggy. They do not have electricity or telephones in their homes. The men usually wear beards and pants with buttons instead of zippers. The women wear white head coverings and plain dresses, usually without buttons – they use straight pins to fasten the clothing.

All of this is intended to keep them from being “corrupted” by the world. The Amish believe that James 1:27 “Pure and genuine religion in the sight of God the Father means caring for orphans and widows in their distress and refusing to let the world corrupt you,” means to stay away from things the “world” does – like driving cars, having a TV, going to movies, wearing make-up, and the enjoying the conveniences of electricity and phones. I can’t criticize that really. Romans 12:2 says, “Don’t copy the behavior and customs of this world…” So, like orthodox Jews, the Amish choose to “separate” themselves from the world as much as they can.

I can’t blame them really. Although, I couldn’t go without my car, TV, or internet. I know I couldn’t. What is available to me on TV as well as the world wide web is frequently not glorifying to God. As that is the case, if we are not going to give up cars, electricity, or our smartphones, how do we as believers stop the world from corrupting us? It goes without saying this is a fallen world. So, how can we handle that truth?

I think we have to practice more self-discipline. It’s kind of like our American diet. Why are we as a nation so porky? We don’t eat well. When we go out to eat, our portions are ridiculous. Have you seen the television commercials for burgers with two, three, or four patties? Do we need four patties? We love buffets because we can keep going back for more. We love processed food. Fried food. Junk food. I’m not pointing fingers. I do too! Chips, cookies, soda, French fries, etc. and we eat it all. We then wonder why our waistlines are what they are. Really? The truth is, we all know if we ate more vegetables, didn’t upsize our meals, and stayed away from fast food, we would see results. We just don’t.

The same goes for entertainment. It’s comical how many times someone goes to tell me about something they have recently seen on TV or in a movie and before they start, they say, “Now, it’s not really appropriate.” I wonder. If it is so inappropriate that you are uncomfortable telling me the story with a disclaimer, why are you watching it in the first place?

The truth is, like the Amish, we could avoid being corrupted by the world too. We know what would work. We just need to practice some self-discipline. We need to push ourselves away from the table and change the channel. After all, James also said, “Remember, it is sin to know what you ought to do and then not do it” (James 4:17).

Sometimes I think it would be easier not to have a television at all than it is to change the channel. And, not having electricity would surely make it easier to stay off the computer, iPad, or smartphone.

Now, I am not advocating becoming Amish. I am saying, although it is difficult, we are supposed to do our level best not to be corrupted by all that surrounds us. We are supposed to be ambassadors of Christ. Examples of how to live in this fallen world. Stay strong my friends. Encourage one another and eat some vegetables!

-----------------------------------------------------  

Remember you can email praises and petitions to southchurchprayer@gmail.com. I lift them up every Wednesday at 4:00 pm on Facebook Live.

Comments

Popular Posts