I Don’t Know Why

Why? Do you ever wonder why? I do. I mean, there are so many things in Scripture that I do not truly understand. Why did God not tell Adam and Eve, “Don’t listen to the serpent! He’s a liar trying to lead you astray?” Why did the Hebrews have to remain slaves in Egypt for hundreds of years? Wouldn’t five or ten years have made the same point? Why do bad things happen to good people? Why do babies die from sudden infant death syndrome? Have you ever asked why? 

Most of us have been at a point where we cry out to God, “Why, God?” The Bible is full of the same questions. Psalm 13:2, “How long must I struggle with anguish in my soul, with sorrow in my heart every day? How long will my enemy have the upper hand?” Habakkuk wondered as well. “How long, O Lord, must I call for help? But you do not listen! ‘Violence is everywhere!’ I cry, but you do not come to save. Must I forever see these evil deeds? Why must I watch all this misery? Wherever I look, I see destruction and violence. I am surrounded by people who love to argue and fight. The law has become paralyzed, and there is no justice in the courts. The wicked far outnumber the righteous, so that justice has become perverted” (Habakkuk 1:2-4). He sounds like he’s talking about 2023!

It’s funny though. We are fallen people living in a fallen world. We know that. That’s why we need Jesus – a savior. The Bible confirms it. “God looks down from heaven on the entire human race; he looks to see if anyone is truly wise, if anyone seeks God. But no, all have turned away; all have become corrupt. No one does good, not a single one” (Psalm 53:2-3)! Paul is clear in Romans, “For everyone has sinned; we all fall short of God’s glorious standard” (Romans 3:23).

And yet, we only ask “Why?” when things are going bad. We never seem to ask, “Why, O Lord, have you blessed me with health, children, grandchildren, a job, a home, a church I love, etc.?” I mean, we apparently feel we do not deserve the bad things that happen in our lives but never question why we receive good things. Fascinating, isn’t it?

The fact is, there are so many things about life, about faith, that are and will always remain unknown to us all. God is clear about that. “‘My thoughts are nothing like your thoughts,’ says the Lord. ‘And my ways are far beyond anything you could imagine. For just as the heavens are higher than the earth, so my ways are higher than your ways and my thoughts higher than your thoughts’” (Isaiah 55:8-9). Yes, there will always be some mysteries of the faith. Why? I don’t know. Is it a test? Perhaps God wants to see if we will continue to trust Him even when things are not going well. The book of Job certainly speaks to that.

I do know that God wants us to believe in Him, trust Him. As Solomon wrote, “Trust in the Lord with all your heart; do not depend on your own understanding” (Proverbs 3:5). Yes, the Bible says, “…God in his wisdom saw to it that the world would never know him through human wisdom…” (1 Corinthians 1:21). Meaning, the LORD’S thoughts are beyond our reach. No matter how smart we become, we will never be able to completely figure out God’s plan. Why? Because He wants us to walk by faith not by sight. To believe in Him through the good and bad. Trust Him during the ups and downs.

Perhaps, what we should be asking is, “Why God, do you love us so much that You sent Your one and only Son to die for our sins?” I don’t know why, but He does and He did.

Comments

Popular Posts