A Special Breed

This Saturday is Veteran’s Day. Veteran’s Day is different than Memorial Day. On Memorial Day we remember those who gave the ultimate sacrifice in defense of freedom. At South Church we also include those who served and have gone on to their reward.

When I wore a younger man’s clothes, I saw Veteran’s Day mostly as a paid day off. As you get older, you gain wisdom and realize what a privilege it is to live in a country where men and women answer the call to defend our freedom. In the midst of all the turmoil in Ukraine and the middle east, we are reminded that at any moment an American soldier, sailor, airmen, or marine could be asked to deploy somewhere in the world where their life is at risk. Not you. Not me. And that’s the way it has been for 247 years.

It is important to note that although all male U. S. citizens 18 through 25 are required to register with the Selective Service System – just in case – (I remember registering the year I was married – way back in 1981), conscription (or the draft) ended in 1973. This means that every soldier, sailor, airmen, marine, national guardsmen, or member of the Coast Guard, is a volunteer. They chose to train and prepare for a war we all hope never comes.

When Jesus was in the upper room He said to His disciples, “This is my commandment: Love each other in the same way I have loved you” (John 15:12). He then follows this in verse 13 with, “There is no greater love than to lay down one’s life for one’s friends.” Now, obviously, Jesus is referring to His upcoming crucifixion and the salvation it brought to us all, but such words can be aptly applied to veterans as well. They “love” us (our country) and the values it treasures so much they are willing to put their own lives in mortal danger.

Now, not all servicemen and women see actual combat. In fact, according to the most recent figures from thesoldiersproject.org only about 10% of the entire military force engages in battle. That’s why when we thank someone for their service, many times they are somewhat dismissive. “I was just doing my job,” they say. Maybe because they were an electrician, cook, mechanic, IT, they don’t want to be included with those who were avoiding IED’s in Iraq or Afghanistan. I disagree. All the support staff a military force needs as they go to war is important. It is a team effort. Also, although a military lawyer might not regularly see action, they certainly would before we would.

Yes, Veteran’s Day has become an important day in my calendar. Remember, regular soldiers, sailors, airmen, and marines do not get to choose which battles to fight. They do not get to decide which action is worthy and which is not. They are simply told to go and they go. So, we don’t have to.

That makes me think. Were you and I worthy of Jesus’ death on the cross? No. But He went anyway. Paul reminds us of this. “But God showed his great love for us by sending Christ to die for us while we were still sinners” (Romans 5:8). In like manner, no soldier, sailor, airmen, or marine ever questioned whether or not you or I were worth dying for either. They were simply willing to serve.

So, we should be grateful to all those who served. I am proud to say my dad (George) and both my uncles (Jim and Tom) served. My friend Chris Peirce was a marine and saw action in Grenada. My friend Jeff Dow is currently a major in the army. And my father-in-law Richard served in the Air Force for twenty-one years. I am thankful to them all. And every man or woman who took the oath and put on the uniform. Say, “Thank you,” to a vet, not just this week but every week. They are a special breed of American.   

-----------------------------------------------------

Remember you can email praises and petitions to southchurchprayer@gmail.com. I lift them up every Wednesday at 4:00 pm on Facebook Live.

Comments

Popular Posts