School Clothes

Did you ever notice when looking at old photographs (I mean from back in the 1930’s or 40’s), the way people dressed? It’s fascinating to see a photo of a picnic. A man and a woman, perhaps on a date, sitting on a blanket on the ground. Her dress spread out around her and he in a suit jacket, white shirt, skinny tie, and hat. You’ll find the same at a baseball stadium. Seats full guys with suits, ties, and hats, all cheering at Yankee Stadium. Can you imagine wearing a suit and tie to Fenway Park to watch a Boston Red Sox game today? Things have surely changed.

When I was growing up there was a distinct and definite difference between the clothes you wore to school and those you went out to play in after getting home. We even called them our “school clothes” and our “play clothes.” You would never think of wearing your school clothes out to play or your play clothes to go to school. I live near the high school in my town and today, I often see kids walking to school wearing sweatpants, shorts, yoga pants, even pajamas and furry slippers. Things have surely changed.  

It’s the same with church. People used to go to church services in their “Sunday best.” Boys wore shirts, ties, and dress shoes. Girls – a skirt and saddle shoes. Things have surely changed. I don’t have to tell you how people show up at church these days. Casualness has overtaken our world. At least in our fashion it has. I am not passing judgment on whether or not this is a good or bad thing. I am simply stating factual truth. Things have surely changed. 

How we worship has changed as well. We use sound systems, and wireless microphones. We have contemporary worship teams and livestream the Sunday service on You Tube, Facebook, Instagram, and X. We use visual aids and can give online through our website or on our church app. Yes, things have surely changed. The message has not. God said to Malachi, “I am the Lord, and I do not change” (Malachi 3:6). The Bible has not. “Your eternal word, O Lord, stands firm in heaven” (Psalm 119:89). “Every word of God proves true” (Proverbs 30:5). “Do not add to or subtract from these commands I am giving you. Just obey the commands of the Lord your God that I am giving you” (Deuteronomy 4:2). Jesus says, “Heaven and earth will disappear, but my words will never disappear” (Mark 13:31). “And” Jesus says, “…you know that the Scriptures cannot be altered” (John 10:35).

I pray that casualness has not bled into our faith as it has our attire. I still wear “church clothes” to church but more importantly, we cannot take what God has to say casually. The truth God spoke thousands of years ago is still truth today. People who say, “Oh, God is a God of love. He wouldn’t send anyone to hell,” take the LORD far too casually. Yes, He is a loving God. That’s why He sent His Son to die for our sins, but our sins are still sins. They were then and they still are now. One of the hardest things to read in all Scripture is in Matthew 7. Jesus says, “Not everyone who calls out to me, ‘Lord! Lord!’ will enter the Kingdom of Heaven. Only those who actually do the will of my Father in heaven will enter. On judgment day many will say to me, ‘Lord! Lord! We prophesied in your name and cast out demons in your name and performed many miracles in your name.’ But I will reply, ‘I never knew you. Get away from me, you who break God’s laws’” (Matthew 7:21-23).

So, go ahead and wear your t-shirt and flip-flops to worship on Sunday if you must, but do not take God’s word casually or lightly or you might hear Jesus say, “Sorry, but things have not changed.”                           

-----------------------------------------------------

Remember you can email praises and petitions to southchurchprayer@gmail.com. I lift them up every Wednesday at 4:00 pm on Facebook Live.

Comments

Popular Posts