Happy Birthday, Jeremy!

Thirty-eight years ago today, I became a dad. I was married for two years at the time and a young man of only twenty, but Renée and I knew we wanted to start a family, so that’s what we did. We didn’t make a list of pros and cons or analyze our income stream and see if we could really afford a child. No. We simply wanted a family. In retrospect, I think that was the best approach because it was from the heart not the head. If we had spent time scrutinizing the size of our home or apartment, the school system in our town, our insurance coverage, or if we made enough money, we probably would have decided against it. Looking back, I don’t know where the money came to raise three boys. It just did. In a similar way, there are a lot of things along our faith journey that don’t add up. Make no sense. Appear overwhelming or even impossible, but it always seems to work out. Perhaps that’s why the apostle Paul reminds us, “We walk by faith, not by sight” (2 Corinthians 5:7; KJV). We trust that God has our back, our front and both sides. Does everything always go right? No. Was it always easy raising three sons? No. Did Renée and I struggle at times? Sure. Was it worth it? Without question! Did my boys always make the best choices? Of course not. Neither did I. However, am I proud of them? Absolutely. My three sons have brought me more joy than I could ever express. I would not change our decision to start a family when we did for anything.  

I would like to say, I believe that’s how God feels too. Psalm 139 tells us God knew us before He formed us in our mother’s womb. That every day of [our lives] was recorded in [His] book. Every moment was laid out before a single day had passed. Every day of our lives. That means God knew before we were born all of the bad choices we would make. All the poor decisions. Every single time we would choose our way instead of His. Was it worth it to Him? Without question! Did His children (you and me) always make the best choices? Of course not. Nonetheless, does He love us? Unconditionally. We have brought God far more joy than sorrow. You don’t have to take my word for it. Take His. “Children are a gift from the Lord; they are a reward from him. Children born to a young man are like arrows in a warrior’s hands. How joyful is the man whose quiver is full of them” (Psalm 127:3-5)!

That’s right. God wanted you. He planned for you, and He loves you. Do you think if He thought about it for a minute that He might have changed His mind? No. God is omniscient. He knew all about you from the start and He wanted you anyway. 

Remember this, the next time you are celebrating your child’s birthday. As much joy as your imperfect son or daughter has brought you, you have brought even more to your Father in heaven. I know that may be hard to believe but that’s why we “We walk by faith, not by sight” (2 Corinthians 5:7; KJV).

Oh, and happy birthday, Jeremy. You are such a blessing to me and your mom.     

----------------------------------------------------- 

Remember to email your praises and petitions to southchurchprayer@gmail.com. We lift them up every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, at 4:00 pm on Facebook Live.

Comments

Popular Posts