Pollen Persecution

Spring is here! Do you know how I can tell? My allergies have shown up with a vengeance. Although, I (as will many of you I am sure), will be regularly taking antihistamines over the next few weeks, it is a sign that flowers and trees are getting ready to burst and that is a good thing! 

It made me think of how often we all go through some tough times in life. The truth is, God never promised believers a smooth, challenge-free journey. He promised He would walk beside us (Psalm 23:4) and be with us until the end (Matthew 28:20). In the meantime, this remains a fallen world full of fallen people (including us). The Garden of Eden was paradise. This world is not the Garden of Eden. We (humanity) were kicked out of the Garden of Eden. Therefore, difficult situations and circumstances are inevitable. One could even say expected. I mean, Jesus was God, and His journey was not easy. Why would we expect ours to be? Even Jesus said to us, “Since they persecuted me, naturally they will persecute you” (John 15:20).

Now, allergies are certainly not persecution. I understand that but dealing with a difficult, painful, or uncomfortable situation is never “fun.” The good thing is because my nose won’t stop running, I know spring is here and summer is right around the corner! Praise God!

Similarly, whatever you may be going through right now. A financial struggle. Health issue. Relationship challenge. Try to remember that during these “dark” moments you are never alone and He has made sure there is light at the end of your tunnel. God is with you every step of the way. Leading you, guiding you, consoling you, holding you up when you feel as if you can go on no longer. Remember the Footprints in the Sand poem? I know most of you are familiar with it, but it is always good to hear it again. For those who may not have heard it I want to share.

One night I dreamed a dream. I was walking along the beach with my Lord. Across the dark sky flashed scenes from my life. For each scene, I noticed two sets of footprints in the sand, one belonging to me and one to my Lord.

When the last scene of my life shot before me I looked back at the footprints in the sand. There was only one set of footprints. I realized that this was at the lowest and saddest times of my life. This always bothered me and I questioned the Lord about my dilemma.

“Lord, You told me when I decided to follow You, You would walk and talk with me all the way. But I’m aware that during the most troublesome times of my life there is only one set of footprints. I just don't understand why, when I need You most, You leave me.”

He whispered, “My precious child, I love you and will never leave you, never, ever, during your trials and testings. When you saw only one set of footprints, it was then that I carried you.”

With apologies to the apostle Paul and my tongue firmly in my cheek, “…what [I] suffer now [pollen] is nothing compared to the glory he will reveal to [me] later [summer!] (Romans 8:18). Amen!

----------------------------------------------------- 

Remember to email your praises and petitions to southchurchprayer@gmail.com. We lift them up every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, at 4:00 pm on Facebook Live.

Comments

Popular Posts