A Super Nova Changes Everything

Renée and I are on vacation this week. We began with a short camping trip to Pennsylvania. We are tenting again. I never thought I would tent again. We started in tents but eventually graduated to a popup trailer. We wore our first one out and then bought a second. We loved camping. Camping is the best vacation a family can take together. As long as you leave all the electronic devices home!

After the kids grew up and left, we sold the trailer. I didn’t want to have to buy a vehicle that could pull it and went back to tenting. After a while, tenting just got old for me. Maybe it was because I got old. I don’t know. But, setting up and breaking down a tent (oftentimes in the rain), cooking over a camp stove, walking to the campground bathrooms. It just wasn’t as comfortable as a stay at a Holiday Inn Express. Ahh. A king-sized bed. Refrigerator. Air conditioning. Cable TV. Yeah. This is camping. Alas, this is expensive too. One hundred-fifty dollars a night for a room gets steep quick. Luckily, we didn’t travel all that much so it wasn’t a really big deal. That was until Nova.

When our grandson Nova was born in May 2021 our whole lives changed. Nova lives six hours north up in Maine. Whenever we want to visit him, it requires a hotel stay and that gets costly. Do you know what is still cheaper than a hotel? You guessed it. A campsite. Therefore, I bought a tent and a whole bunch of camping equipment. We are testing it out this week. It’s been a while. That way when we head up to Maine we will be able to afford staying for a week or so. I really never thought I would tent again. There’s nothing you won’t do for your children or grandchildren though, am I right?  

Remember, there was nothing Jesus wasn’t willing to do for us too. He heals us. Feeds us. Loves us. Encourages us. Forgives us. And, because it was necessary, He gave His life for us. He didn’t have to. He wanted to. It was His choice to do so. Jesus says in John 10:18, “No one can take my life from me. I sacrifice it voluntarily.” 

Now, that is certainly a greater sacrifice then camping in a tent, but only slightly. Just kidding. There is a parallel though. I mean, I don’t have to tent camp. I want to. It is my choice. I am willing to do so because I love my little Super Nova. When you make a sacrifice for your children or grandchildren, no matter how small, remember what Christ was willing to do for you. How much He loves His children. “…God showed his great love for us by sending Christ to die for us while we were still sinners” (Romans 5:8). You are that important to Him. You always have been, and you always will be.                 ----------------------------------------------------- 

Remember you can email praises and petitions to southchurchprayer@gmail.com. We lift them up every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, at 4:00 pm on Facebook Live.

 

Comments

Popular Posts