Carpe Diem

It’s hard to believe that Monday is already August 01. What happened to the summer? What happened to 2022? For that matter, what happened to the last fifty-eight years? Time flies when you’re having fun they say. I think it flies fun or not. That’s why time is so precious. Each and every day. We should treasure every moment we have because none of us know how much time we have left. The Bible says in James 4:13-14, “Look here, you who say, ‘Today or tomorrow we are going to a certain town and will stay there a year. We will do business there and make a profit.’ How do you know what your life will be like tomorrow? Your life is like the morning fog – it’s here a little while, then it’s gone.’”

I have mentioned before that over the past twenty-five years of pastoral ministry, I have officiated at hundreds of funerals. On occasion, I will come across someone who is beyond distraught. Inconsolable. Grief-stricken beyond words. They are found at the casket on their knees sobbing uncontrollably. I thought at first this is what I would experience as a pastor. This is what funerals were going to be like. After all, I had not been to many before myself. What I came to learn, however, is this kind of display was not the norm. Rather it was the exception and always the result of unresolved conflict. This person never got the chance to repair a broken relationship. To say, “I’m sorry,” “I forgive you,” or “I love you.” In far too many cases they had not even spoken to the deceased in years. Now, any opportunity to make things right was passed and the grief was overwhelming.

Time does fly my friends. Do not spend any of it holding on to bitterness, anger, or resentment. It’s not worth it. It never is. Seek reconciliation. As Colossians 3:13 tells us, “Make allowance for each other’s faults, and forgive anyone who offends you. Remember, the Lord forgave you, so you must forgive others.”

Life is too short to waste any of it on spite or animosity. Before you know it, the summer is gone. Hey, there is only one hundred fifty-one days until Christmas! In addition, do not wish the years away either. Renée and I spend a lot of time it seems nowadays talking about what we’ll do when we retire. It’s fun to dream and plan but we are not wishing away the next nine years. We are fully invested in what God calls us to do every day.

Yes, the end of summer will be here before we know it, but more importantly did you have a good time? I did. Renée and I went to Amish country. Visited our grandson in Maine. My mom and brother in New Hampshire. Did some camping. Here in Connecticut, we went hiking, visited some wineries, cideries, gourmet cheese shops, did some antiquing, and got some ice cream. Yeah, it was a good summer. I hope yours was too.

Remember, as they say, “Carpe Diem” (Latin for “seize the day”). Whether it is sunny or cloudy, dry, or raining, cold, or hot, every single day is a gift from the Lord. Treasure it. Enjoy it. Use it for God’s glory. As the psalmist reminds us, “This is the day the Lord has made. We will rejoice and be glad in it” (Psalm 118:24).    

----------------------------------------------------- 

Remember you can email praises and petitions to southchurchprayer@gmail.com. We lift them up every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, at 4:00 pm on Facebook Live.

Comments

Popular Posts