The Only Answer

On a wall in my office hangs a painting I purchased years ago at a conference in Boston. The painting shows an eagle sitting atop the liberty bell. There is an American flag as well as two crosses in the background. Jesus is kneeling next to the liberty bell with His hand on the famous crack in the bell as if He is praying for healing. It struck me the moment I saw it and had to purchase it. 

To me, it states the obvious. America is broken. I don’t need to tell you that. We all see crime rates climbing drastically. Shootings taking place in shopping malls, nightclubs, and in the subway. The opioid epidemic has not slowed a bit. We have been otherwise occupied with the coronavirus, understandably, but fentanyl continues to take lives. Between 2020 and 2021, nearly 79,000 people between 18 and 45 years old died from fentanyl overdoses. In fact, fentanyl overdoses have become the number one cause of death among US adults, ages 18-45. More adults in that age group died of fentanyl overdoses in 2020 than COVID-19, motor vehicle accidents, cancer, and suicide. All of this is going on not to mention our battle with inflation.

Yes, America is broken. The world is broken. Paul reminded us of that in Romans 8:22, “For we know that all creation has been groaning as in the pains of childbirth right up to the present time.” Yes, the world is broken and the only one who can heal it is Jesus. We try. We do. We pass all sorts of laws and regulations but everything we attempt will fall short. That’s the paradox, isn’t it? The only solution that will work – Jesus Christ – is the one we have banned from the town square. It’s as if we have discovered a cure for cancer but will not allow it to be dispensed. It makes no sense. Apparently, Satan has done an effective job of blinding us from the truth. Making us scared to speak. Paralyzed with anxiety that we might be harassed, persecuted, or mistreated for proclaiming Christ. Yet, He remains the answer. The only answer.  

As God said to Solomon, after he finished building the Temple, “I have heard your prayer and have chosen this Temple as the place for making sacrifices.” However, God warned Solomon, “At times I might shut up the heavens so that no rain falls, or command grasshoppers to devour your crops, or send plagues among you.” There are consequences for disobedience. Nonetheless, the Lord promises, “Then if my people who are called by my name will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sins and restore their land” (2 Chronicles 7:12-14).

Just as with King Solomon. If we repent. If America was to turn from its wickedness and embrace God again, He will heal our nation. That is the only solution my friends. I am reminded of that truth every time I walk into my office.          

----------------------------------------------------- 

Remember you can email praises and petitions to southchurchprayer@gmail.com. We lift them up every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, at 4:00 pm on Facebook Live.

Comments

Popular Posts