Periwinkle

I have a Betta fish in my office. I named him Periwinkle because he’s blue. I got it mainly because I thought the kids would enjoy coming to visit him and thereby popping in to see me too. He was only $12.99, but I didn’t realize all the additional costs. The aquarium was $40.00. The rocks for the bottom were another six, which I have to change every couple of months because they get yucky. Then there is the water conditioner. The water clarifier. The water renewal liquid. The algae drops. The powder to achieve proper ph. Filters which need to be changed regularly. The fake foliage and the sponge Bob pineapple under the sea house for him to play in, and of course Betta fish food. It turned out to be a rather expensive undertaking. Nonetheless, every month I do what is necessary to keep my $12.99 fish alive. The truth is, without me, he would die.

You might be surprised to discover that Periwinkle is actually more valuable than I am. Yes, human bodies are made up of a variety of elements such as: oxygen, carbon, hydrogen, nitrogen, calcium, and phosphorous as well as fourteen others. If all of these elements were sold at going market rates, it would be worth, are you ready for this? About $4.50. Yeah. On the open market we’re all worth less than five bucks. I paid more than twice that for my fish. Never mind all the other ongoing costs.

Sure, we may be made up of only five dollars’ worth of material but as Paul said in 1 Corinthians 7:23, “God paid a high price for you.” Yes. As Jesus told Nicodemus, “…this is how God loved the world: He gave his one and only Son, so that everyone who believes in him will not perish but have eternal life.” God may have only used five bucks’ worth of stuff to make you, but you are worth so much more to Him. More than life itself actually. He offered Jesus’ life as a sacrifice to save yours and mine. I love Periwinkle but would I die for him? I’m thinking not so much. Yes. Jesus went to the cross for five dollars because those five dollars were you. And, to Him, you are well worth it. As I said, without me, Periwinkle would die. Similarly, without Jesus we too would die. However, because of Jesus we will live again.

Whenever we get a little too full of ourselves. A little big for our britches, they say. Remember, we are literally only worth five dollars. God, however, believes you are invaluable and there is nothing He won’t do for you. If you needed water conditioner, clarifier, or algae drops. He would provide them for you. Instead, He gave us the sun, moon, and stars. Air, water, land, plants, animals, and fish. He gave us food to sustain us. Work to pay the bills. Families (including church families) to nurture and encourage. I’m sure if you really needed a Sponge Bob pineapple under the sea house, He would provide that for you too. Incredibly, He has given us so much more. Eternal life through His Son Jesus Christ. Perhaps we should show Him our appreciation and thankfulness. Maybe in how we live.  

----------------------------------------------------- 

Remember you can email praises and petitions to southchurchprayer@gmail.com. We lift them up every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, at 4:00 pm on Facebook Live.

 

Comments

Popular Posts