Better Than Donuts

Nostalgia. The word comes from the Greek root nostos which means “a return home.” A couple of weeks ago, Renée and I took a drive up to Worcester, MA. I was born in Worcester many moons ago, but we went because they apparently have a burgeoning craft donut craze going on there and Renée believes donuts are one of the basic food groups. We visited the Glazy Susan, Donuts & Draughts, and Rocco’s craft donut shops. It was well worth the trip.   

On the way home, we decided to swing by the towns of Paxton and Holden. The first home I ever lived in was on Glen Ellen Road in Paxton. A couple of years later we moved eight miles east to Brattle Street in Holden. I moved away from Holden in the 1960s. Yet, as I sat there looking out the front window of my car taking photos in the rain, I couldn’t help but feel something. It’s hard to explain. It’s been over fifty years since I left Holden but there is just something about these homes that makes me feel nostalgic. I remember the big tree out back that my brothers and I used to drive our matchbox cars around. I remember the scent of our next-door neighbor Mr. Naptin’s lilacs wafting through my second story bedroom window. I remember going to mass right down the bottom of the street at St. George’s. It felt good to remember.   

Why this walk down memory lane? Well, it makes me think of how quickly we forget. For instance, how many times have we cried out to the Lord asking Him for help? And how often has He blessed us? Taken care of us. Helped us through a difficult time. Psalm 34:4 says, “I prayed to the Lord, and he answered me. He freed me from all my fears.” Psalm 118:5, “In my distress I prayed to the Lord, and the Lord answered me and set me free.”

God does answer prayer. I know He has answered mine. I’m sure He has answered yours. Do we forget that too quickly? I fear, too often, we have an attitude of “What have You done for me lately, Lord?” It’s not intentional. We don’t mean to feel that way. It’s just so easy to quickly forget how much God has previously done for us when in the midst of a new crisis.  

Whatever difficult circumstance you may find yourself in at the moment, try to get nostalgic. Remember how often God has come to your rescue before. Why would He not do so again? God loves you and He has your back. Jesus promised us, “I will never fail you. I will never abandon you” (Hebrews 13:5). “I am with you always, even to the end of the age” (Matthew 28:20). Dare I say this kind of reassurance is even better than donuts!  

----------------------------------------------------- 

Remember you can email praises and petitions to southchurchprayer@gmail.com. We lift them up every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, at 4:00 pm on Facebook Live.

Comments

Popular Posts