Huh?

We are in the midst of a Bible study looking at the prophet Habakkuk. Habakkuk had questions. He couldn’t understand why God allowed things to be so miserable for the chosen people. Babylon had overthrown the Assyrian empire and presently occupied the northern kingdom of Israel. They were poised to continue on into Judah and Habakkuk simply didn’t understand why.

I began the study with a story. A pastor went into a Sunday School Class and asked, “What’s faith?” A little girl responded, “Faith is believing God without asking any questions.” I understand her take, but the truth is, genuine faith has lots of questions. I still have lots of questions. The opposite of faith is not doubt. In fact, in faith, there is room for doubt. Just like temptation is not sin but can lead to sin. Jesus was tempted three times by the devil, yet He did not fall. Many of us do. Likewise, doubt is not unbelief, but it can lead to unbelief. Questions themselves are not blasphemous or disrespectful. When on the cross Jesus Himself asked God, ‘Eli, Eli, lema sabachthani?’ which means ‘My God, my God, why have you abandoned me’” (Matthew 27:46)? Was Jesus questioning? Yes. Was He doubting? Absolutely not. Jesus was the one who prayed in the Garden of Gethsemane right before He was arrested, “Father, if you are willing, please take this cup of suffering away from me. Yet I want your will to be done, not mine” (Luke 22:42). He also said, “No one can take my life from me. I sacrifice it voluntarily. For I have the authority to lay it down when I want to and also to take it up again. For this is what my Father has commanded” (John 10:18)

No, Jesus never doubted, however He did encourage questions. “Keep on asking, and you will receive what you ask for. Keep on seeking, and you will find. Keep on knocking, and the door will be opened to you” (Matthew 7:7). Many godly men in the Bible had questions as to their ability to serve Him. Remember, Moses asked God, “Who am I that I should go to Pharaoh and bring the Israelites out of Egypt?” (Exodus 3:11). Joshua asked, “Oh, Sovereign Lord, why did you bring us across the Jordan River if you are going to let the Amorites kill us? If only we had been content to stay on the other side! Lord, what can I say now that Israel has fled from its enemies” (Joshua 7:7-8)? Many questions are put to God in the Psalms. “O Lord, why do you stand so far away? Why do you hide when I am in trouble” (Psalm 10:1)? “Why do you look the other way? Why do you ignore our suffering and oppression” (Psalm 44:24)? “O God, why have you rejected us so long? Why is your anger so intense against the sheep of your own pasture” (Psalm 77:1)? Gideon, Elijah, and Jeremiah all had questions as well. Remember when the angel Gabriel told Mary she was pregnant? Her reply, “But how can this happen? I am a virgin” (Luke 1:34)? 

Questions actually make sense, because as the Lord said to Isaiah, “My thoughts are nothing like your thoughts…And my ways are far beyond anything you could imagine. For just as the heavens are higher than the earth, so my ways are higher than your ways and my thoughts higher than your thoughts” (Isaiah 55:8-9). We will never know the mind of God. We cannot possibly comprehend what His plan is.  

An honest question is not wrong or sinful. God is not intimidated, shocked, or displeased by our heartfelt questions. Questioning His answers or actions. That’s a different kettle of fish. Proverbs 3:5 reminds us, “Trust in the Lord with all your heart; do not depend on your own understanding.”

If you’re not sure of what is happening in general or in your life in this season. Questions are okay. God can handle them. We just need to listen for the answer and then be ready and willing to trust whatever it is He says. Remember, He is God, and we are most definitely not. 

-----------------------------------------------------  

Remember you can email praises and petitions to southchurchprayer@gmail.com. I lift them up every Wednesday at 4:00 pm on Facebook Live.

Comments

Popular Posts